Once again proving the versatility of her writing skills, Lewis’ collection of short fiction offers glimpses of ordinary people in critical moments. Among the wide array of characters are a spunky mountain girl with her eye on the city, a greedy con artist, a family dealing with the aftermath of a tragedy, a teen struggling to survive in a terrifying new world, and a woman dreaming her life away. Whether disturbingly strange or heartbreakingly familiar, these seventeen stories will linger long after you turn the last page.
- Balance: After tragedy strikes a close-knit family, a grieving father’s inability to cope leads to a horrifying resolution.
- Straightening the Curves: Nicole made a bad choice when she married Russell. Yet when she finally leaves him, it’s to his family she runs.
- Unspeakable Words: A young woman receives soul-shattering news.
- A Beautiful Man: James is only a small-time con artist until he meets the wealthy Ann. You’d think he’d be satisfied with his new Manhattan lifestyle, but James has a wandering eye and a greedy heart.
- A Heart Next to Mine: Jesse fled a dreaded future underground in the coal mines, but two decades later, he’s a solitary man, emotionally buried just as deeply.
- A Meditation: A cynical woman rejects the possibility that something good is happening to her.
- My Name is Amy Walls: When Amy awakens one Sunday morning to a terrifying new world, her struggle to survive begins.
- Ambition: Kelly Jean is determined to get out of Mossy Creek. Unfortunately, her boyfriend doesn’t much care for her plan.
- Act in Haste: Stan sees himself as a stand-up guy, but a strange encounter late one night leads to a different judgment.
- Blood Relation: Janine is a tormented mother who lashes out with tragic consequences.
- Existence: In the near future, strict governmental rules severely impact the life of a teen.
- Better Left Alone: Newly divorced, Teresa succumbs to temptation when her teen heartthrob claiming to have never forgotten her reaches out.
- Perchance to Dream: All is not as it seems when Nina prefers to spend her time dreaming of a man who is not her husband.
- Secrets and Shadows: An unusual shadow embodies a child’s fears.
- The Tisserand Phenomenon: The secret to phenomenal success for one New England family’s business lies deeper than anyone imagines.
- Sight Unseen: Elise’s decision to meet a man she’s known only online ends in surprise.
- The Silence in Noise: Beth’s drive to be the perfect mother has devastating repercussions.
What readers like you are saying:
Linda Cassidy Lewis is truly a gifted storyteller and these little gems prove my point. Each short story has it’s own twist – some spiral into real life and some with jaw-dropping endings. I treated myself to a story before bed and a story when I woke up, in order to savor each one.
This is a great collection of short stories with entertaining twists. I highly recommend it.
I read and reread this great find—in 3 days. Love Cassidy’s short stories. She wastes no time with lots of unimportant details! My opinion is …SATISFYING.